Search : rental cars car flights auto insurance hotel book hotel online rent car hotel booking 

Opposition says police haven’t investigated attacks on them*

Two attacks on opposition activists over the last week have prompted leaders of the opposition Candlelight Party to renew calls for police investigations into suspected political violence, which appears to be increasing ahead of July’s parliamentary elections.
The two incidents are the latest in what party officials claim have been dozens of similar violent attacks on their activists in the capital, Phnom Penh, and elsewhere over the last few years. No suspects have been arrested or charged in any of the incidents, they said.
Last Thursday, Thorn Chantha, president of the party’s youth movement, was struck by a baton by two assailants who then chased him to his car and smashed the driver’s window with a rock.
“This violence is to intimidate opposition party activists who dare to conduct political activities ahead of the election,” Thorn Chantha said.
The attack happened on the streets of Phnom Penh as party activists were planning a demonstration in front of its headquarters – the first in several years. 
A couple days later, Keat Sokchan, a member of the Candlelight Party’s youth movement, told Radio Free Asia that he was beaten by two suspects who used a steel baton to hit him about 10 times on his arms, shoulders and head. 
He said earlier this week that he was still being treated at a hospital.
“My arms are so painful that I can’t lift them up,” he said. “I want the authorities to imprison the suspects for the sake of youth safety across the country.”
No follow-up from police
Party organizers have also faced threats, harassment and arrest on what they say are trumped-up charges as they prepare for July’s parliamentary elections.
Authorities still haven’t followed up on Thorn Chantha’s complaint, he told RFA.
“I don’t have any confidence that police can find any suspects in my case and other cases,” Thorn Chantha said on Tuesday. “So far, they can’t find any suspects.”
Another activist, Nol Pongthirith, told RFA that he was struck on the head in July 2022. He said he also hasn"t received any information about an investigation. 
“If the suspects are not brought to justice, political parties’ activities will be reduced due to security concerns,” he said.
National Police spokesman Chhay Kim Khouen has previously told RFA that police have been unable to find any suspects because victims haven’t cooperated with authorities. RFA couldn"t reach him for comment this week.
The spokesman for the ruling Cambodian People’s Party, Sok Ey San, denied that there have been politically motivated attacks. In some cases, police have just needed more time to gather evidence, he said. 
“I guarantee you that there is no difference between an investigation to the ruling party and the opposition party,” he said. “Authorities investigate all incidents.”
Translated by Samean Yun. Edited by Matt Reed and Malcolm Foster.

前一頁 後一頁





© 2017 TATYUN All Rights Reserved.
隱私條款 | 聯絡我們


重要聲明:本網站是以即時上載文章的方式運作,本站對所有文章的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切文章內容只代表發文者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。發文者擁有在 TATYUN 張貼的文章。 由於本站是受到「即時發表」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有即時文章,若讀者發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。本站有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士發文,同時亦有不刪除文章的權利。切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。ZZ